Software Engineer - Machine Learning Platform
Who We Are
Our ambition is to be the definitive food company, feeding people three times a day with great food from the World's best-loved restaurants, all with an unparalleled level of convenience.
From distributed computing to large-scale system design, complex algorithms to beautiful user interfaces, we have teams working on every step of the journey to ensure we continue to offer our customers a growing selection of choice at the best price with a fantastic level of service.
We work with thousands of restaurants worldwide, from renowned local gems to your favourite chains, allowing them to open up a new revenue stream and reach new customers. Our restaurant partners, riders and customers are as passionate about food as we are, and if you want to make an impact on millions of users by solving some of the biggest technical challenges at great scale, come on board and join the ride.
At Deliveroo we have a world-class Data Science organisation, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision making. We work throughout the company, in product, business and platform teams to answer some of the most interesting questions out there.
To make all of this possible, we need a state-of-the-art platform which allows us to quickly iterate on our machine learning models, train them on the data collected by our systems, validate their correctness, and reliably deploy them to production. The Machine Learning Platform team works on the tooling and best practices that supercharge ML at Deliveroo, in a close collaboration between software engineers, machine learning engineers and data scientists.
People in our team utilise a variety of backend technologies to build scalable products and design complex distributed systems. You could be a good fit to join us if you have experience with the complexities involved in productionising machine learning models; are interested in both the data processing and the production side of the problem; and are passionate about taking the possibilities of machine learning to the next level.
What you’ll do
- Work with the necessary machine learning infrastructure, such as training and deployment of pipelines (we use Argo), model serving, model registry (we use Metaflow), monitoring and feature stores
- Work closely with machine learning engineers, data scientists, platform engineering teams to build standardised tooling capabilities that drives MLOps practices across the company
- Develop best practices, tools, and libraries to make the ML platform ecosystem easier to use and more reliable for product teams.
- On-call support on rotation with the team.
- Document every action so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
We need experienced software engineers who enjoy solving infrastructure problems with code. We don't expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
- Ability to write high quality code in Go (or willingness to learn Go if you come from another language!).
- Knowledge of ML modelling frameworks like TensorFlow, Scikit-Learn, XGBoost and PyTorch.
- Strong infrastructure as code skills, ideally with Terraform.
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, specifically EKS, ECS and Lambda).
- Experience with monitoring applications (We use Datadog, Sentry).
- Knowledge of distributed services and event streaming (we use Kafka).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across adjacent teams to contribute to team goals.
Benefits And Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer multiple great benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.
Land your dream job
Get a weekly email with the latest startup jobs.