Principal Data Engineer, CNN
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role…
CNN is looking for a seasoned Principal Data Engineer to cultivate a data-driven culture within the organization. We are looking for someone who is inherently motivated, thrives in both autonomous and collaborative team settings, and harbors a deep passion for the transformative power of data. This pivotal role involves orchestrating sophisticated analytic solutions, integrating novel data sources, and meticulously organizing data to unveil insights that propel our strategic business initiatives.
Your Role Accountabilities…
- Craft, scale, and optimize internal processes, focusing on the automation of manual procedures, the refinement of data delivery, and the redesign of infrastructure to boost scalability.
- Develop and maintain advanced data pipelines to ensure efficient and reliable ETL processes from various affiliate marketing platforms and advertising partners in real-time and batch modes.
- Architect a unified data warehousing solution that consolidates affiliate and advertising data, ensuring consistency, reliability, and accessibility across the organization.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to understand key performance indicators (KPIs), integrating these metrics into data models to track affiliate performance.
- Engage with both internal and external data contributors to streamline and unify disparate data sources, from proprietary datasets to external partnerships.
- Design and build robust ETL processes that accommodate the diverse data formats and structures from multiple partners, while adhering to strict data security and privacy standards.
- Innovate and refine reports, and dashboards for internal stakeholders, combining analytical rigor and creative thinking to render data into compelling visual insights.
- Execute and maintain regular and ad-hoc reporting protocols to inform decision-making, taking proactive steps to address data anomalies and recommend strategies based on business intelligence.
- Establish automated reporting and alerting systems for business stakeholders, providing them with timely and actionable insights on affiliate marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Continuously evaluate and integrate state-of-the-art data technologies and tools to keep the company at the forefront of data capabilities in analytics.
- Drive the optimization of data storage and query performance, reducing costs and improving efficiency in accessing and analyzing large datasets.
- Cultivate a comprehensive understanding of the organization's data landscape to distinguish between actual performance issues and data discrepancies.
Qualifications & Experience…
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in data engineering.
- Demonstrated proficiency with SQL, Python, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) stack (S3, EC2, Redshift, etc.), including database architecture, table design, and complex data aggregations.
- Expertise in BI tools such as Looker, Domo, Tableau, or similar platforms.
- Proven track record of working with both structured and unstructured data sets and providing comprehensive data requirements.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively.
- Advanced data visualization capabilities and a solid foundation in statistical analysis.
- Logical and critical thinking skills with a knack for identifying, expressing, and troubleshooting data-related challenges
- An entrepreneurial spirit driven by a quest for data acquisition, utilization, interpretation, and the dissemination of analytics-driven decisions.
- BA/BS degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or other related quantitative field
- Experience with API data extraction and database integration.
- Background in digital media data analytics, covering web and mobile platforms.
- Prior involvement in data integration or ETL-centric projects.
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Parquet, or similar systems.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.If you’re a qualified candidate and you require adjustments or accommodations to search for a job opening or apply for a position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Land your dream job
Get a weekly email with the latest startup jobs.