Senior Data Scientist
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
The position will be based in Visa’s Sydney office. We seek a data scientist with experience in data preparation, data analysis and implementing AI-centric solutions. You will be working with VISA’s big data sets and in certain cases in conjunction with our clients’ data.
The candidate should possess hands on experience with associated technologies and ability to collaborate across teams and functions to deliver value to VISA and our clients.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to work on huge varieties of problems across Marketing Analytics, Credit Risk, Open banking/ Open data, etc. They must have a highly analytical bent of mind and requisite skills to independently analyse and interpret data insights.
We need a dedicated, technical, proactive, and energetic who accepts challenges and is a confirmed problem solver.
About our team?
The Data Science team at Visa Consulting & Analytics (VCA) plays a pivotal role within the Global Data Solutions organization. Comprised of dedicated data scientists, analysts, and engineers, we help major organizations through analytic solutions. Our primary objective is to create solutions that empower our clients using one of the largest dataset in the world, VisaNet.
- Work within the project team to support the design, development, and delivery of data science/engineering solutions to VISA clients, adhering to scope and timelines
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with clients.
- Providing mentorship to junior team members
- Partner with roles across the organisation including consultants, engineering, and data scientists to address prioritized business problems
- Build data driven solutions/data science models aligned with client's priorities and leading different vendors for the execution if required
- Break large solutions into smaller, releasable phases and seek feedback from product owners, clients, and other partners
- Define detailed scope and methodology, design and create solutions, and implement using appropriate tools and techniques
- Support development of a robust system for measuring and optimising the quality of deployed algorithms and models
- Maintain AI models in production to evaluate performance, model drift, and decay
- Actively seek out opportunities to innovate by using VisaNet, external data and new modelling techniques fit for purpose to the needs of our clients
- Make sure that the legal/compliance/security related requirements are fully adhered to
Basic Qualifications and Experience
- Qualification in Data Science/Computer Science
- Experience being data scientist/engineer or analytics consultant
- Hands-on experience in developing AI models, scaling data solutions, and delivering end-to-end data science projects
- Experience working with large and multi-dimensional datasets
- Proficient in implementing standard classification and clustering algorithms
- Proficient in big data aggregation using Hive, Spark, SQL and Python
- Experience with visualisation tools, such as Power BI, Tableau, or similar.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Strong internal team and external client management with a collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style, able to work effectively in a matrixed organisation
- Exhibit intellectual curiosity and strive to continually learn, self-motivated and results oriented individual with the ability to handle numerous projects
- Ability to learn new tools and paradigms as data science continues to evolve at Visa and elsewhere
- Demonstrated resource planning and delivery skills
- Good communication and presentation skills with ability to interact with different cross-functional team members at varying leve
- Understanding of the Payments and Banking Industry including aspects such as consumer credit, consumer debit, prepaid, small business, commercial, co-branded and merchant will be a plus
- Consultancy experience is a plus
- Experience in writing and optimizing efficient SQL queries, Hive, Python and Spark
- Expertise in dashboard and report development using Tableau or Power BI
- Good understanding of Agile way of working
- Experience in deployment, operationalization of Machine Learning models
- Experience with Apache Airflow would be an advantage
- Experience of cloud-based data science platforms would be beneficial
Business and Leadership competencies
- Quality-focused professional with strong problem-solving abilities and a proven track record in tackling sophisticated analytical challenges
- Detail oriented to ensure the highest level of quality in reports and data analysis
- Proficient in translating analytics output to actionable recommendations and delivery
- Skilled at presenting data-driven insights to audiences with varying levels of technical understanding
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity and a desire for continuous learning
You’re not expected to have 100% of these skills. If you have most of the skills required and this role sounds exciting to you, we'd love to hear from you!
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office 2-3 set days a week (determined by leadership/site), with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% or more of the time based on business needs.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Land your dream job
Get a weekly email with the latest startup jobs.