Software Development Engineer II - Big Data
Grow as a developer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems?
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
As a global company that works with both local businesses and consumers, Groupon has a wealth of data, which is stored and processed on our ever-evolving data platform. Parsing and analyzing vast amounts of data is a centrally meaningful part of Groupon’s business: it helps us gain better insights into our customers’ needs as well as understand our own processes and identify ways in which we can improve. Our Data Pipeline is the heart of this system and we are looking for someone to join us and help us shape the growth of this business-critical function.
For this specific role, you’d be joining a team of like minded engineers on a follow the sun model. You will be contributing to all aspects of an agile software development life cycle including design, architecture, coding, documentation, testing and operations. Supporting data pipeline operations globally while defining your own development roadmap to automate and simplify your work. You’ll also build and improve the cloud infrastructure supporting the global data pipelines. You’ll be able to build tools and services to enhance monitoring & observability of global data pipelines and also to detect and provide early warning, self healing systems over Data Pipelines to improve and streamline operations. In this role, you will own and improve the data infrastructure supporting the global data and ingestion pipelines.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Proactively manage delivery of service level objectives for Data Pipelines and related Systems
- Implement early warning, detection and self healing systems
- Designing and implementing tools to optimize processes and simplify your work
- Reduce toil and support requests, make the platform easy to use.
- Collaborate with teams to troubleshoot issues and propose solutions
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute.
- Work closely with other engineers within your group and across the product and engineering organization to identify problems and build effective technical solutions.
- Seek maximum cost efficiency out of the Cloud platforms
- Facilitate emergency and Incident response
- Be part of a follow the sun model to ensure Data Pipelines and Infrastructure reliability
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Having 3+ years of hands-on experience with all aspects of design, developing, testing, and implementing ETL solutions.
- Software development experience in a major language (Java/Python/Scala)
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrable full lifecycle ownership (development, testing, deployment, operations).
- Strong knowledge of SQL and data warehousing concepts
- Deep understanding of Linux/Unix Operating systems
- Experience with any scheduling tools such as Airflow, Control-M, Opswise, Job scheduler etc. is a plus.
- Experience in ETL Development & Support.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Desire to troubleshoot problems and automate solutions.
- Work with big data and distributed systems using technologies such as Hadoop, Hive and Spark.
- Knowledge of cloud platforms such as AWS and GCP is a plus.
- Experience with Terraform is a plus.
- Work in a fast paced environment and collaborate with multiple teams.
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with Quality: Your Production code Just Works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
Beware of Fraudulent Offers
We would like to bring to your notice that Groupon follows a merit-based employee recruitment practice with extensive screening steps. Groupon does not charge/accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the recruitment process. It was observed that there has been an increase in recruitment fraud involving scammers who post fraudulent job openings, or who contact job-seekers with fake job offers. These individuals sometimes even conduct fraudulent interviews with an attempt to obtain personal information or money from the applicants. We have also noticed that certain individuals claiming to be from the Groupon Talent Acquisition function are contacting prospective candidates pretending to represent Groupon with job offers. In case you or any candidate receives any unsolicited or fraudulent communication regarding a job offer or an interview call against payment of money, please stay alert and recognize it as a scam. We are not liable for any loss or damage incurred as a result of dealing with such entities. To prevent falling victim to the same, please visit grouponcareers.com to verify the job opening. All our genuine job openings are posted on the official Groupon careers website.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Land your dream job
Get a weekly email with the latest startup jobs.